Friday, October 13, 2006

Scribe Jamboree: October 13, 2006


Welcome to another week of Unknowing Mind's Scribe Jamboree! This is where I highlight some of my favorite posts from the past week from my fellow writers at The Daily Scribe.

First from Angela-Eloise at Blogickal, a great post on the mythology of the Harvest Moon. The moon always instills awe and wonder in me, and this year's Harvest Moon was simply spectacular in Chicago. The Goddess truly is alive in such a wondrous sight.

Second, (by the way, these are in no particular order!), Tim at Pop Occulture Blog posted a vivid excerpt from a favorite author of mine, David Abram, on Alphabet Magic. Read the entire article by Abram if you can -- it's an amazing piece of living scholarship on the animistic relationship we have developed with words.

Tim gets third billing too with his post on The Ecology of the Self. This one's based on Abram's work as well, but Tim relates Abram's writings on the true purpose of magic--ecology--to our sense of self.

Fourth, we have a good post at Arbitrary Marks on Counting the Cost of Stories and Beliefs. It's an interesting application of cost-benefit analysis to religious beliefs. At fourth and a half, I'll mention an interesting conversation in which I've been involved regarding worship in a singular setting with pluralistic beliefs. Neat viewpoints being discussed herein.

Fifth, Sojourner from A Pagan Sojourn reminds us to Take Time to Pause. Life constantly throws work at us and it's easy to fall into the trap of rushing through doing things that need doing and forgetting to stop, breathe, and come back to yourself in the moment. I'm several weeks into my first class toward my Ph.D in electrical engineering, and I'm struggling with the same thing right now. Thanks for the timely reminder, Sojourner!

Finally, I want to point you to two amazingly detailed and information-filled posts on the history of the number thirteen and of Friday the Thirteenth in particular. Reb Chaim HaQoton posts on Friday the Thirteenth, as does Angela-Eloise. Thanks for your efforts on this fun topic, you two. I never realized how much history underlies this superstition.


Technorati Tags:

0 comments: